Monday, October 23, 2017

Make sure you're wearing clean underwear!

Look, I get it. I know the ease and fallacy of pointing the finger and telling others 'how.'
I coached nearly 1,000 basketball games and watched many more; I know how easy it is to 'coach the other fella's team.' That said, I understand how easy it is for a seventy-eight year old parent to point  to this generation of parents and tell them what they're doing wrong. Therefore, since most thngs I attempt these days is difficult, I'll do the aforementioned 'easy' thing and tell today's parents where they're screwing up. My words of cautionary advise come with sincere hopefulness for those in the parenting trenches. I am unapologetic with my comments.

First, if your kids don't know that a parents greatest love is NOT for them then you need to reinforce that premise. I knew my parents loved me but I knew they loved Christ and one another more than me. I learned early that when I was told to do some thing the request-directive was non-negotiable and if I failed to comply I could expect consequences. My folks understood 'my' collateral, desires and fears. If parents remove expectations and consequences they are, in fact,  promoting  weakness and accountability cripples. A child grows in confidence and self-worth when praise follows accomplishments. You heard me. That means keep the score of little league baseball games because in the real world there are declared winners and losers at every turn!

Parents should be unified in philosophy and resolved in a joint mission to answer this question over and over again: "Will our decision give our kid the permission to make good choices and ultimately experience personal resolve and growth...or will our parenting decision keep our child insulated from the sting of failure and allow the kid to blame others as he embraces entitlement?

Mother asked, "Are you wearing clean underwear?" Yes, mom and I understand why you asked. And my dad spoke, "Don't let your mouth overload your ass on the streets, boy and be home before 'shallow hours. Fly Right, boy. Yes, dad and I get it! The eighteen years I lived with my parents, I never paid rent, utilities or purchased food. I suppose the least I could do was accept their ground rules.
(Touch)
Straighten Up Boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment