Monday, October 16, 2017

Relentless Longing

I suppose 'bitter-sweet' would best describe my 60th East St. Louis Senior High Class Reunion. Yep, most certainly, Bitter-Sweet!' That 1957 class numbered 350-plus graduates and to offer an understatement; the herd is thinning.

I wasn't all that 'social' in high school. I was one of those jock-freaks that was either playing basketball and baseball or practicing one or the other. Besides, I began dating Gerry Bischof in the ninth grade and 64-years later we still manage a date night if not involved with kids, grandkids and now great-grandchildren. That said, I still had about six dear high school buddies who shared the sport participation gig. Okay, here's some 'bitter:' three of those six have died a fourth has advanced Alzheimer and a fifth is digging out of hurricane rubble in Marco Island..

Gerry and I attended the Friday night 'Class Reunion social-mixer' and certainly enjoyed the gathering with faces from the past. One dear friend with whom I attended junior high and high school announced to Gerry and me that her late husband has now been gone for three years and she was 'looking' for a man. I quickly pointed out that all the guys attending are in a holding pattern just  months away from walkers and assisted living quarters.

While we were in the Metro-East area and had layover time Saturday before the big Class Reunion shindig, Gerry and I made cemetery grave-site visits to pay respect to: parents, grandparents,  aunts/uncles and cousins. Before leaving the last cemetery (Mt. Carmel), I had to pay my respects as I have every year since 1959, to David Pusey, the neighborhood boy who died at age 15 from  leukemia. David lived three doors down from us on Rosemont Avenue. He loved to shoot baskets in our backyard court. He was four plus years younger than me and talked about the day he Too would be a high school player. David Pusey was the reason I prayed before nearly 1,000 games that I coached. I thanked God for those healthy boys about to compete and asked his comforting Grace on those youngsters who could not play.

As I contemplate this time in my journey it would be easy to become depressed perceiving life's unraveling...I must always remember, 'It is life's relentless longing for itself.' We must celebrate the moments and give thanks for the ride...and most definitely, we must always answer the call and be true to our school.
(Touch)
Be True to Your School

No comments:

Post a Comment