Wednesday, October 11, 2017

'Pivotal People'

I call them 'Pivotal People.' We all have been touched by 'them' and some of 'us' become 'them.'
Let me explain: I ask you to think of people outside your family-relations who impacted your life. We would likely agree family interactions usually hone the bulk of our social perspectives, religious beliefs (or lack thereof) and a myriad of other attitudes and personal views. Putting aside that family dynamic, I urge you to recall a person or persons who shaped or changed your philosophy, ideals or pursuits. Those 'pivotal people' who may have altered your life's journey.

My personal reflection renders two such 'pivotal people' both of whom were coaches. I was a fifteen year old sophomore entering East St. Louis Senior high school at the winter (January) mid-term. If I was to continue with that time schedule, I would graduate three years later in January.

The high school basketball coach was a legend on two-fronts. Louis 'Pick' Dehner had been an All-America basketball player at the University of Illinois.  Coach Dehner was also a legend in the Illinois high school coaching circles with his bigger than life personality and court side antics. Suffice to state: Coach Dehner was not the easiest coach for whom to play. He was also the school's baseball coach and I played both baseball and basketball. Dehner had a profound aversion to placing much stock in a student-athlete who was to graduate mid-year. A mid-year graduate disrupted the basketball team and was denied a spring baseball season. Dehner was known to encourage players whom he believed could help his teams, to drop out of school one semester during their sophomore year then returning to school with two consecutive, interrupted years in tact to play sports. I did that at the coach's persistence. Had I not followed Dehner's advice, I am certain I would not have attended  college and never entered the teaching/coaching profession.

At high school's end, I was disillusioned with various possibilities. I could have opted to sign a  meager pro baseball contract and likely washed out at summers end or I could get little financial aid attending a few small colleges playing either baseball or basketball. Enter 'pivotal person' Coach Jim Collie. Dr. Collie had just left McKendree College accepting the basketball job at Illinois State. He camped out on my door step with a terrific offer to play both baseball and basketball at ISU. Call me 'Redbird Mel.'

I am blessed and most grateful. I am also pleased that I made sure that Voach Dehner and Voach Collie were duly thanked by me before their deaths. There is an old saying, 'pass it forward.' I hope and pray I have. What's your story? Who were your 'pivotal people?'
(Touch)
Thank you Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment