Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Fun-Blessings

Whew! What a Christmas Day family gathering! About 1:30PM, twenty-seven folks bowed their heads, acknowledged Baby Jesus as the 'first' and greatest Christmas gift and then attacked Italian beef, rigatoni, ham, salad, Italian bread, dinner rolls, pumpkin pie, red velvet cake, pecan pie and an endless assortment of decorated 'show' cookies as if they had not eaten since last Christmas Day.

 My wife and I passed out monetary gifts because one size fits all and there's no need to 'save' a receipt. The kids out did themselves 'giving' to the old folks...the grand finale Gift was a 55-inch VIZIO television that does everything but take out my trash. Afterward it was game time and the participation ran the gamut from intense to falling down hilarious...mostly the latter.

I suppose it's the same at all homes at the Holidays, lots of picture-taking. Our daughters and granddaughters never see a moment that's not worthy of a snap-shot photo preservation and it seems like my wife and I are required to be in every photo opt. I know, I know what they're thinking; they're thinking...'you NEVER KNOW.' The highlight photo was when Grandson, Caleb Howell's fiancee, Morgan handed our great granddaughter, Juniper a gift box, which held a special invitation for the three year old to be their flower girl at their October 27, 2018 wedding. Juniper was very excited but not as excited as  Juniper's mother, granddaughter Amanda and her Nana, Gerry. A few minutes later another picture  taking request was made and as the group was told by the picture-taker, "Okay, Smile.." ...angelic, curly blonde-headed, Juniper added,  "Everybody say, Hot farts!" Hey, what ever makes you laugh.

Finally, with the departure of each family an empty-anxious feeling begins to build in the pit of my stomach. That wondering doubt laced with fear that 'things' might not be the same next year. Those thoughts find fertile ground in the weakness of flesh and a misconception that I deserve that which I have and enjoy. As I enter the house to face a reality of clean up, I quickly come to my senses.  I AM BLESSED and I shall trust God for my tomorrow.
(Touch)The Most Wonderful TimeWonderful,Time

No comments:

Post a Comment