Saturday, December 9, 2017

Heroic Anonymity lives through Humbleness

I think we'd agree that heroic anonymity is a rather rare act; an uncommon behavior. Most folks who do good wish to be recognized for 'doing good' even though their motivation may not be recognition.  That said, heroic anonymity requires humbleness if the act of heroism is to remain unknown.

I suppose my first introduction to this phenomenon of anonymity heroism came in 1949 when I was but ten years old. I seldom missed a Saturday morning showing of the television series, 'The Lone Ranger.' For those readers who may not recall the shows' format and ending, let me profile. The Lone Ranger's face was 'masked' to hide his identity. The show had a typical and predictable story line, which found the Lone Ranger and his sidekick,Tonto coming to the rescue of someone compromised by the villain (s). At the episode's end and the day saved by our hero, The Lone Ranger disappeared as someeone asked, "Who was that masked man?" Another would answer, "Why that's the Lone Ranger." And...on that cue the Ranger's voice would be heard in the distance, "Hi Yo Silver, Away." Wow! A ten year kid thought, The Lone Ranger didn't even get a thank you...Nothing! Ah, but the subliminal message was seared into a young brain...DO GOOD FOR THE SAKE AND NEED OF GOOD.

Today, we seem to be less humble. We seem to want more than the 'feeling' of doing good for the sake of good. Oh, I hear of some anonymity acts of kindness and heroism but more often I note the insatiable appetite for recognition. The athlete who shouts and contorts his body upon skill accomplishment. We seem to have an endless parade of 'Awards Programs' and 'Hall-of-Fame Events.
Our current President, unlike any President before is constantly praising himself suggesting his accomplishments surpass any previous President.

I'm not certain if things are better or worse. I'm not sure if there is a decline or not in heroic anonymity. Nope. I just hear my father's voice upon the heels of any of my athletic accomplishments when he'd say, " Boy, you do know that others did what you just did and some did more...keep lookin' for ways to get better."
(Touch)Humble Hero

No comments:

Post a Comment