Sunday, December 10, 2017

One Terrific Coach but A Greater Human Being

Joe Newton was one of those people, after whom you talked with, made you feel emotionally and spiritually lifted; you just simply felt better about life and your journey therein. Newton died yesterday at age 88. He was the long time cross country coach at York high school in Elmhurst, Illinois. Joe won an unprecedented 29-IHSA State Championship Titles; 28 in Boys cross country and one in track and field.

I first met Joe in 1970. I had moved from the Washington, Illinois basketball and cross country positions at that Peoria area high school to assume the same charge at Edwardsville high school in Southwestern, Illinois. I had a limited background in cross country and that first year at Edwardsville I inherited a transfer runner from York who as a junior won the prestigious Peoria Invitational. I knew to do this kid right and build a decent team around him, I needed a crash course in the training intricacies of distance running. Who better to engage than Coach Joe Newton. I felt a bit nervous when his phone was ringing but as soon as he answered and I said, "Coach Newton, this is Mel Roustio. I'm the basketb " and in mid-sentence, Newton interrupted saying, "I know of you and I know about your background and Edwardsville has hit the jackpot getting you." That was Joe's motivational style. His incredible ability to lift you and then teach you...and he indeed helped this writer become not only a better cross country coach but a better person.

Thanks, Joe and God Bless your sincere loving soul.
(Touch)
Coach Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment