Saturday, December 2, 2017

Let's Have Our Cake & Eat it Too

I understand that the United States Supreme Court will soon hear the case and render its decision regarding the Colorado baker who refused to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple. The issue in question is all about 'rights.' The Court Justices must determined, which of two rights is valued constitutionally; shall it rule in favor of the baker's right to withhold business service predicated on his religious rights or should it embrace the gay couple's right to fair and equal treatment under the law?

The issue reminds me of a personal encounter of a similar circumstance. It was the winter of 1963.  I was coaching football, basketball and baseball in Assumption, Illinois. My wife and I had one child, Steve who was two years old. When necessary to avoid another pregnancy, our contraceptive choice was the condom. Unlike today's open display of contraceptive products, back then a fella discreetly whispered to the drug store clerk his wishes to purchase 'prophylactics.' We even used an obviously softer term 'prophylactic' as opposed to harsher sounding term CONDOM.

You could imagine my surprise when the lone drugstore owner in Assumption, Mr. Hafner in a rather scolding voice offered his refusal, "We are Catholics and we don't believe in artificial birth control products." At the time, I did not think much about my rights versus Mr. Hafner's religious rights. Nope, I just thought about the 26-mile round trip Drive to  Taylorville and the possibility my wife  would have a headache upon my return. I never argued with Mr. Hafner but I thought then the same thing as I do today, Hafner should have carried condoms or offered me gas money.

I suspect that the conservative-leaning Supreme Court will rule in favor of the Colorado baker to withhold his cake baking service. Personally, I believe the consumer is being wronged. Once again  it's classic hypocrisy. Is the baker troubled by the fact that he sells cakes to possible murderers, thieves, tax cheaters, pedophiles, people sexually active before marriage and all sorts of Ten Commandment breakers? Well, I am sure he does!

If Mr. Hafner was still living in Assumption, I take him out for lunch and engage a conversation about today's Catholic family sizes versus Catholic family sizes of 1963.

There is a risk factor brewing for the gay couple. Should the Supreme Court ruling go against the baker, I might approach that cake with trepidation. You all do recall the 'pie' in the movie 'The Help.'
(Touch)Bake the Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment