Monday, December 4, 2017

You Remind Me of....

This past Saturday, I turned on the family room television and began my channel-surfing, I stopped to notice Chuck Connors playing with The Rifleman. I didn't think much about it at the moment but two hours later, I noticed that TV channel was still playing 'The Rifleman.' Checking the television guide, it appears the Rifleman is on the Tube nearly as much as The Hallmark Hall of Fame movies.

I couldn't help but recalling a Rifleman story from years ago, which has a personal touch. I was a nineteen year old sophomore at Illinois State University. In those years, my father was traveling in his sales position with New England Lead Company. A couple of his clients were in Central Illinois and he'd often let me know ahead of time to grab a couple of roommates and meet him some place for a steak dinner...now that was a treat! On one such occasion, I excused myself from the restaurant table to use the restroom. While standing at a urinal relieving myself, a very drunk fella staggered to the urinal next to me. Soon he began muttering, "Oh, my God, I don't believe it." He kept repeating that line over and over. Now, any guy will tell you that's a bit unnerving while side-by-side at urinals.
Finally, I sternly questioned the man: "What the hell's your problem, pal?" He staggered backwards zipping up his fly and shouted at me, "I know you...YOU'RE THE RIFLEMAN!"

I quickly washed my hands and left the bathroom only to hear the fella yell out, "The guys at work ain't gonna believe  I whizzed with the Rifleman.!" When I returned to the table I asked of my dad and two roommates, "Do I look like Chuck Connors?" My Dad answered, "No but you look stupid with your fly 'open.'
(Touch)You Remind Me Of a Man

No comments:

Post a Comment