Tuesday, December 12, 2017

My World

Hot Damn it was good to get outside yesterday with the temp reaching 52 degrees. Now that's a phrase Grandpa E. V. Bennett often used back in the day, "Hot Damn!" I can hear him now, "Hot Damn that's good Christmas custard but be careful not to drink too much, it'll make you sick." Sure, Grandpa. Anyway, I love to get outside and walk three miles a day and then spend time on the backyard bench in the morning and the swing in the afternoon. Like old Satchel Paige once said, "Some times I sits and think and some times I just sits."

Here's the deal: I don't like winter! I don't like snow! I hate ice and cold winds! I'm 78-years old and for much of my first 62-winter years, I was either playing basketball or coaching basketball. Consequently, I was either at practice or on a yellow-jacket bus going to or coming from a game. I didn't have time to sit. I used to look out the basketball-bus windows this time of year and see people rushing across parking lots going in and out of stores and restaurants. I wondered just how that life would be...now I know...I'd rather be on a bus than shopping. When one cannot sit outside but is forced to sit inside one ends up watching too much television and then one really go bonkers!

My wife said I should write another book or start an intense scripture study program. I'm afraid if I became too versed in scripture I might be more inclined to judge people; I seem to detect that  tendency. In less than a month, The Good Lord willing, my wife and I will head to a warmer climate for a couple months, by golly, I believe I'll exercise a good deal, sit in the sunshine and ponder the  ways of people and give some serious consideration to writing and reading. Perhaps I'll scratch out some book-writing notes. What's that? What about the scripture reading? Okay, I'll come clean.  I'm in a Bible study class the entire time and I'm always reading random scriptures. You see, I keep searching for that Biblical verse telling us to 'Judge one another until Jesus Christ returns.' I Haven't found it yet but 'hot damn' it must be in there somewhere because Christians do that a whole lot better than loving one another as He loved us.
(Touch)
It's My World

No comments:

Post a Comment