Friday, January 12, 2018

Blessed to be a Snowbird

I suppose one could call it 'The Unintentional Reunion.' I know those gathering are referenced by the locals as 'Snowbirds.' That's us, Northern old-timers invading the Florida Gulf Coastal region to escape the bitter winter cold and avoid its accompanying depression driven by dirty snow, brown grasses and barren trees.

This is the fifth consecutive winter that my wife and I have migrated to the Destin, Florida area and found cozy comfort in a neat cul-de-sac of some thirty-plus two and three story white cottage style homes, each trimmed in its own personalized pastel colors. I will guess that 90% of these homes are occupied by retirees who go nowhere without their four-legged family member. Two upsides to owning a dog when wintering amongst strangers; (1) you don't stay strangers very long because every body's 'walking the dog' and (2) walking & the act of bending to bag your dog's poop is better cardio-exercise for the seventy-something crowd than shoveling wet snow.

The four most visited conversational topics for the next two months will be: (1) kids (2) grandkids & greats (3) health issues and (4) eating places. The fact that most in our cul-de-sac are yearly returnees, we've become somewhat family; we know enough about each other to ask about 'the kids' and inquire about the latest medical procedure. (Note: Political topics are a no-no, which is in my best interest since me, the Chicago guy across the street and the black trash collector are the only Democrats in the neighborhood. Think about that for a moment).

As for my personal enjoyments and activities; my wife and I attend some very talent-laden  entertainment venues, engage a mid-week Bible Class and a Sunday 'Rock & Roll Church.'
Other than that, I'm working on a book idea and... 'walkin the dog.'
(Touch)This Snowbird Walks the Dog

No comments:

Post a Comment