Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Can We Be The Hero?

After church this past Sunday, my wife and I went to the 'Surf Hut Restaraunt,' which is uniquely situated less than seventy-yards off the Gulf water's edge on the beautiful Miramar Beach white sands. The Surf Hut is one of those seaside eateries that can open windows and thus embrace the patio and beach beauty ambiance. On this particular day the chill in the air found widows shut.

As soon the hostess seated us, I noticed a small bird near the back of the restaurant perched on the interior of the window with the obvious desire to be on the outside. The table alignment had me with no alternative but to be facing this bird's constant and frantic attempts to free himself from the noise and chaos of people passing by. Obviously, the bird had entered the premise at a time when windows were open on one of those Gulf breeze warmer days.

The bird's desired location was on the widow. As people passed by, he would dart to a safer place on high rafters. Soon there appeared to be a second bird caught up in the panic delimma, however on closer observation, I noted the second bird was on the outside appearing confused with his friend's incarceration. Both birds kept flying erratically from window to window, back and forth peering and pecking at each other.

I began reading the menu to change my focus but no matter how I tried, I kept returning to view this  small creature's compelling frustration. Finally, I beckoned my waiter. I pointed to the bird and suggested to him that the bird needed a hero...Then I asked, "Will you go open that widow or must  I?"
As the young waiter walked toward the window, once again the bird darted to the rafters. The waiter unlocked the window and began to pull down the upper frame when instantly the bird flew quickly to freedom.

Later that afternoon, my thoughts returned to the bird's predicament and just how we find people shackled and encumbered by some imprisonment. It may be a broken relationship, a financially paralyzed circumstance or perhaps an addiction. Whatever it is that may be keeping the person from breaking the chains and permitting 'freedom' to embrace life, we wonder if indeed we are missing the chance, the moment to act as the facilitator...God only knows, we have all needed our heroes.
(Touch)Freedom from Chains

No comments:

Post a Comment