Thursday, January 4, 2018

Coach: We Need Red & Black Jordan's !

Recently watching two high school basketball teams in pre-game warm ups, I noted how much the uniform styles and footwear have changed over the years. Gone are the short pants (trunks) exposing entire legs; today, we have the baggy shorts with a hemline below the knees. The jersey top has not changed much through the decades except when altered by National Federation 'rules changes' in such matters as letter and number size and location or some bogus issue about as swoosh tail on school mascot names. You need not guess the reasoning...kickback monies and perks from sporting goods manufacturers. Uniformity in team begs for matching shoe apparel and that can be problematic for a coach if he's not on top of some subliminal factors. Personally, I would not permit different shoes worn by players. Do we not agree that most teenagers like recognition? A basketball,player can be tempted to step out of the uniformity look when permitted to select his own basketball shoe. Suddenly, you have socio-economic statements being made and that can be a 'team-unity' deal-breaker. I was always cognizant of those peripheral factors that could erode 'togetherness.' On that issue, I did not permit players to opt out of returning home on the team bus with his mates by driving back with parents. I insisted we'd prepare together, play together, travel together and process outcomes together.

The basketball shoe industry, perhaps more than any other industry has done a superb marketing job. In the 1980's, players were captivated by the name brand/pro endorsed basketball shoe. This was mind-boggling to a guy who played his high school and college careers in $9.95 Chuck Taylor All   Stars canvass tennis shoes. The team-shoe cost could break the sport's budget with cost of $95-to- $150 per pair. I seized the opportunity to ease the money crisis while keeping team uniformity, pleasing the players (somewhat) and teaching a valuable lesson. I conducted a free thrown fund-raiser. Every player was required to secure twenty pledges for 300 free throws shot. The money raised would consistently be near $3,000.00. I'd never let the players buy the Cadillac shoe but the next most desirable because they only had 50% of that three thousand to spend. The other $1,500.00 was given to The Muscular Dystrophy Association. I was going to teach my players that you don't always think of self but there is a good feeling when you 'give.' We did that fund-raiser for ten years. I remember one year the MDA telephoned me and insisted we had to give 100% of raised monies to MDA if we were 'using' their name. I told them I would contact the America Heart Association. I'll be damn if the MDA didn't change their mind. It's not only teens who can be selfish.
(Touch)Now Those are Sharp Shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment