Tuesday, January 23, 2018

I've Gone to the Dogs...my entire life.

As long as I can remember, which goes back nearly seventy-five years, I have been associated with a dog. The very first dog was 'Pal,' who was my mother's pet when she was still a youngster in her parents' home. Later there was Zipper, Skippy, Peggy, Duke, Duchess, Fritz, GiGi, Konigin (German for Queen), Rueben, Gizmo, Percy and now Yodie. I'm sure my recall is compromised by artery issues, therefore suffice to say, I likely missed a pup's name.

As a young boy, my relationship with my dogs was daily and conversational in nature. I did all the talking but I noticed it was easy because they were such great listeners. Somehow each dog appeared to understand completely what I was saying and always sided with my viewpoint, especially those times when I felt betrayed by friends or unnecessarily punished by parents.

During my working years, I admit that I took my dogs for granted. Oh, they always greeted me with their same loyal enthusiasm but I seemed preoccupied with a myriad of  'I gotta do's.' Now that I am a full-blown retiree, my time has pretty much become my dog's time. The day begins with Yodie nudging his nose up under my chin at approximately 6AM and we hit the potty trail. We do a considerable amount of outdoor bench and swing sitting together as I ponder past, present and future and he scopes out intruding critters. We eat at the same times each day and take walks together. I find myself talking to Yodie as I did to those many pups years ago. While wintering in Florida, I spend  more time with Yodie than anybody else...I like it like that and he seems to enjoy the arrangement.

Yodie will likely be the last of the Pups and that is fine with me as long as we both get off the train about the same time. Should he wish to ride a bit longer, I've arranged the necessary 'take care of my buddy' contract agreement. There's a few more things I'd like to tell you about Yodie and me but right this minute he has a rubber duck in his mouth and is raking his back leg while growling at me...
It's time to play!
(Touch)Old Shep

No comments:

Post a Comment