Monday, January 22, 2018

Live in the Moment

This Florida sunshine begs for more 'outside sittin and ponderin.' We older travelers may be subjected  to more ponderin' about the past and fearful ponderin' about the future...both are sad, foolish and ungrateful. Don't interpret that wrong. I have wonderful memories of family, friends and players I coached and I cherish those reminiscent recalls. I just need to be careful not to live only for those yesterdays. On the opposite end of that ponderin' tangent is 'what's in store for me; how much time remains.' Since I have absolutely no control over that answer, I ask myself, 'why go there?'

My, my, I cannot begin to count the wonderful people who have come into and out of my journey. Obviously, some remain to various degrees while most did not. I still have fond memories of all.
There were so many times when I wished I could freeze-time but I knew better. I recall the first time that I wished for that stand still moment. I was nine years old (1948) and seated next to my father in old Sportsman's Park watching the St. Louis Cardinals playing the Brooklyn Dodgers. I remember vividly closing my eyes between an inning and wishing that the moment and night could last forever. Oh, there were so many times in this old man's journey that I had a similar wish moment. There was a 12-year period from 1968-to-1980 when all three of our children were home and tucked into nightly beds safe and sound. I wished that those years would last forever. Oh sure, I had some basketball teams that were so enjoyable to coach that I wanted to freeze that moment but seasons begin and seasons end just as every journey. Too much ponderin' of the past or future rob me of the 'now.'

There's a saying: "Life is a journey not a destination." Focus upon, enjoy and celebrate 'the journey.'

I shall ponder a bit about yesteryear and I shall and ponder about tomorrow's eternity with my Lord, however considering the gift of life today, I shall embrace those 'now blessings' and plan to serve somebody someway....and besides, I got to make plans for next Thanksgiving's Decatur Basketball Tournament and hopefully get closer to finishing this book.
(Touch)
Live in The Moment

No comments:

Post a Comment