Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Changing Itenerary

The word 'family' shifts a lot in meaning. We might ask, where does family begin, what does it include and what parameters contain it? Personally, I think of family as in blood, through marriage and also in adoption. In terms of that 'family reunion,' we obviously are embracing the clans legacy in its totality from the genealogical beginnings.

That family resulting from the relationship of my wife and me is that specific 'unit' that dictates much of what is expected of me and my responsibilities. Our kids, their spouses, grandkids and great grandkids with all social and ceremonial events demand my attendance and attention. Wedding showers, Marriages, receptions, baby showers, christenings, youth sports' events, dance recitals, musical recitals, graduations, Grandparents school days and more and more all cry out "Be There!"

If one is blessed with a longer journey one gets to do these things with children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. Color me blessed. If things continue, I shall shuffle into the graduation exercise with a walker and take a seat near the stage so my failing vision and creeping-deafness will be aided in identifying kin and hearing names.

This past Sunday, my wife and I returned from South Barrington where my wife joined forty others celebrating a baby shower for the family's second oldest granddaughter and later a high school graduation celebration for the family's twelfth grandkid.

This old fart forgot his hearing aids and thus did more smiling and nodding than usual, which I hate because it gives me a headache and even worse, I'm afraid I'm agreeing to something stupid. I also  forgot to take along my diabetic testing kit, which resulted in me being over-cautious and therefore passing on baby shower cake, and graduation cake, cookies and pastries. Some say that I'm getting forgetful. I say that I have too much on my mind, which causes me to be forgetful. I prefer my reasoning, which protects my ego.
Next weekend, I'll take my wife to a wedding shower. That wedding will take place in the fall. Come to think of it, I have a speaking part at that ceremony; hope I don't forget. Ah, later this month, the Roustio extended clan will gather at Shiloh, Illinois for the 69th Annual Roustio Family Reunion. Now that event is coming to the end of the line...no question. The younger generation ain't connected like generations past. Nope, no desire any longer. Maybe we can make # 70 and maybe I will be around to write a blog about the happening and then maybe not. I feel guilty. I think I got so much more out of my journey than what my grandkids will get.
(Touch)
We Are Family or some instance, We Were Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment