Wednesday, June 20, 2018

I Know Nothing

Last week, my longtime friend-in-education, Joe sent me a note asking if I knew a George Hopper, who, fifty years ago attempted to swim 800 yards across Horseshoe Lake while handcuffed and pulling two boats. (Note: Horseshoe Lake is located off Route 111 in Madison County near Granite City, Illinois). Even though I grew up in the same Metro-East decade as did Hopper, I did not know him. Actually, I was attending school at Illinois State in 1958 when Hopper attempted the fete. I don't know if George successfully completed his fete.

I am familiar with Horseshoe Lake. In fact, I fished there once and went 'catfish tubbing' there once. If you're unfamiliar with 'tubbing,' I can tell you that you need a bottomless wash tub which can be placed over a bed of catfish in shallow waters. The tubber-guy then reaches into the water and feels for catfish. Sure, you can be finned by the catfish but worse than that you best hope you're not in a Water-Moccasin pool when you reach into that tub!

I do recall another news story about Horseshoe Lake back in the mid fifties. It appeared in the East St. Louis Journal. Some fella was found dead by drowning in the Lake and his hands were also bound. He was NOT swimming but evidently he was NOT paying and some 'wise guys' were upset.
I didn't know any of those fellas either.
(Touch)
Its Best Not to Know Some Folks

No comments:

Post a Comment