Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Time For A Tatt?

I understand that my comments today will be sensitive if not upsetting to many people, especially the younger set because it has become commonplace to see many people sporting tattoos and body piercings. We notice the discreet tattoo markings and the very flamboyant artistry. Piercings also run the gamut from the modest to the immodest.

Since I have not opted for either tattoos or piercings, I cannot speak with authority on the motivation behind the decision to use the body for such displays. That said, you know that I cannot stop myself from speculating as for the reasoning to partake.

Let me throw myself on the grill first. I would be dishonest if I did not confess that when I dress to enter the public square, I hope that people notice that my attire is well fitted, reasonably stylish and nicely coordinated. Simply stated: I wish to be noticed to some degree. I should also acknowledge that most of my wardrobe is traditionally conservative while some of my clothing coordinates may speak a bit louder. I suppose those days I wear the less conservative are the days I am seeking more attention.

When I was a high school and college athlete the uniforms I wore were just that, very 'uniform.' All  players looked exactly alike with no differentiating accessories. As years rolled by through a thirty-nine year coaching career, I recall the National High School Federation Association making rules periodically in the attempt to control excessive, gaudy and potentially dangerous accessories worn by players, i.e., head bands, writs band, earrings, undergarments and contrasting colors. Let's agree that one reason athletic shoe sales have skyrocketed is the very fact that players' 'statements' in shoe apparel became huge.

These days, Major League Baseball players scream 'SEE ME' with necklaces, tattoos, colorful under sleeves along with hair and beard styles and colors. Currently the St. Louis Cardinals are promoting a Carlos Martinez Bobble Head Night with four (4) different bobble heads sporting four (4) different hair colors. This 2018 baseball season, pitcher Carlos has distinguished himself, Not On The Pitching Mound where his performance is less than colorful as is his changing hair and styles.

 I see more and more pro-athletes having Bible Verses tattooed on their arms and/or necks. It compliments their philosophy of pointing to heaven when God favors them in success over the opposing pitcher or hitter.

If my wife will give the okay, I'm considering a biblical scripture tattoo myself: Leviticus 19:28
 "You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh, nor tattoo any marks on you. I am the Lord."
(Touch)
Another Tattoo

No comments:

Post a Comment