Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Look to the Heavens for Good Reasons

Last week, I was thumbing through a scientific magazine while waiting for my podiatrist appointment. I don't normally seek out scientific magazines but this one was on the empty chair next to me. I was reading an article about asteroids and the large number tumbling through space and the the likelihood that one could hit the earth. You'll recall a year or so ago there was a 250 thousand ton asteroid emitting hot air gases, which was to fall from the sky but NOT hit earth. Thank goodness that would be like playing basketball and picking up a charging foul from Rush Limbaugh.

The science literature spooks so I traded my asteroid magazine for one of those more trendy subscriptions and suddenly I'm reading differing religious fundamentalist opinions. Thoughts and opinions were coming from a Christian fundamentalist, a Muslim fundamentalist, a Jewish fundamentalist and atheist, who is certainly a natural fundamentalist. After reading a few paragraphs, I was quickly reminded of the reality that 'fundamentalist' simply means that what I believe to be true makes it completely impossible that anything you might believe is true. Fundamentalist seemingly have zero tolerance for others' religious beliefs.

Here's what I believe. I am a Christian but not a fundamentalist Christian. If how I act or what I say causes you to wish more information about what I believe, please feel comfortable asking. If you are happy paddling your religious canoe with your own tablets then do that. Just do not try to govern my country from your fundamentalist pulpit and please stay off my grass while on earth. Finally, you may wish to purchase a hard hat...asteroids, did you forget?

No comments:

Post a Comment