Monday, October 13, 2014

Communication Challenges

My thirty-nine year coaching career ended before 'social-media' became an issue carrying potential negative impact upon my basketball program; not the case facing today's coaches. At last Friday's educational conference presentation before middle school and high school coaches, I asked the question regarding the manner in which the coach addresses negative/critical 'tweets,' 'blogs' and Facebook comments by their players and the players' parents. A successful team depends upon a spirit of comradeship , enthusiasm and devotion to a common cause embraced by group members. I am sorry but unchecked the negative use of the social media can destroy the team.


I believe that a mandated pre-season meeting with parents and student-athletes should clearly state expectations of parents and athletes with regards to the 'social media' team comments with consequences outlined should violations happen.


My parents and grandparents would have no idea of today's meaning of the words 'tweet' and 'blog.' Of course, I recall in recent years when I told my daughter-in law that some little league baseball player had 'three dingers' and she thought I was absolutely crazy. It seems, in their immediate family a 'dinger' is reference to the 'penis.' A dinger to me meant 'homerun.'

No comments:

Post a Comment