Monday, October 20, 2014

Who's In Charge?

I heard one of those parenting-experts on television last week talk about the need for the parent to recognize in that moment just before a child begins to throw a temper-tantrum. The parent can then offer distractions to take the child's mind off the tantrum. Seemingly, parents should be versed in the skills to deflect potential bad behavior forthcoming from their kids. The expert continued by showing various 'tools' to equip the parent.
The larger question is: How do we equip and prepare all the people with whom our child will interact in life so those folks may identify our child's mood thus offering the 'tools,' which will keep him from destroying the office or killing a co-worker.
My dad was one screwed-up parenting-dude. The first time I showed my ass throwing a temper tantrum in public, he took me aside and whipped that ass and told me, "Straighten-up boy!" Going forward, I TRIED TO FIT IN with others and PLEASE my parents.
Today, I feel as the fella who knelt at the Church alter for a long time one Sunday morning. The Priest asked the gent, "What's troubling you my son?" The grown man replied, "I worry about the day when our country is run by those who were never spanked and got trophies for participation."

No comments:

Post a Comment