Friday, October 31, 2014

Kids In Different Times

A few weeks ago, I was visiting with one of my younger grandkids who, like all the other grandchildren is very computer savvy. Not far into our conversation the youngster made a correct observation and candidly shared it with me when she said, "Boompa, you sure don't know much about computers. Perhaps feeling sorry for me she added, "But you know other stuff."  I grew up watching Art Linkletter's television show, "Kids Say The Darndest Things," therefore I am not surprised what comes forth from kids' lips.


As we parted that evening, the youngster put down the handheld gadget long enough to give the old man a goodbye hug. As I drove home that night, I recalled my adolescent years and instead of cell phones and electronic devices, I remembered: One large black telephone and when you picked it up off the receiver, you might hear a conversation taking place; we had 'party lines.' If the line was open a real live telephone-operator said, "Number, please!" She then 'plugged' you into a truck and soon you were talking with your friend. Of course, I knew more about 'anti-anti-over', Mother May I, Newspaper Boys calling out the headlines, Street Cars, Automobile Running Boards, Drive-In Movies, Car Hops, Poodle Skirts, White Buck Shoes, I.D. Bracelets, Character Notebooks, Whitewall Tires, Console Radios, Wax Records (45's & LP's), Grocery Store Deliveries, ice box, Family (Together) Supper-Dinner Time, Butch Wax for crew cuts,  Catfish Tubing, Neighborhood street-light games and chatter. I do recall when we did get rotary-dial telephones; we could then telephone a taxi-cab for an unsuspecting neighbor.
I conclude that my grandchildren are are both smarter and more productive than I.

No comments:

Post a Comment