Friday, October 24, 2014

In The Sand is No Place For a Head

We all know the proverbial teen myth, 'It ain't gonna happen to me.' None-the-less, my nightly prayer has one repeating line; "Dear God please be with my grandchildren and help them to make GOOD choices."
I observe outrageous college campus behavior driven by the power of alcohol, the promiscuous attitude towards sex and a general theme, "I am a bigger idiot than you!"
 Once the tattoo identified the male but no longer; body markings and piercings are the order of the day along with pretentiously showy and tasteless behavior accentuated with sloppy attire. Hardly a week passes that some pretty young girl goes missing only to be found dead and some creepy looking bastard is 'a person of interest.'
Subscribing to the belief that God helps those who help themselves, I encourage my children to be proactively involved in their children's lives, offer the answer "No" more than "Yes" and never apologize or explain their skepticism about their kids' activities.
I established parent-teenage relationship parameters many years ago with my kids and I land the same punches with the grandkids. I recall saying to my teen daughters, when driving them to and from those endless middle school parties, "What shall we talk about while we have this moment together, 'French-kissing or alcohol-drinking?.' My message?? Kiddos, you ain't the first to experience the carnival-circus and we are going to chat about the larger picture!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment