Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Making Sense Of It



I remember at a young age hearing my father say to mom, "I want our boys to have a better life than we did." Over the years, I often recall that comment and imagine that most parents share similar sentiments. Surely, we would agree that such a parental mission is most noble.


As I review the lives of my parents, my generation and that of my children and grandchildren, I simply wonder if 'a better life' truly resulted. Without condemnation, I do take note of one early childhood drastic change; the day care school impact on children. I contend that the 'womb-to-room' concept does not replace 'good' parenting. This cannot be better.


 Personally, I never got in that parenting-parade of making a better life for my kids. I believed my life to be just fine and good enough for my children should I re-create the format. My wife and I always kept things simple so we could understand what the hell we were attempting. We expected our kids to be accountable, respectful, well mannered, maintain personal hygiene, achieve to their respective abilities, understand consequences and pursue something for which they had a passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment