Thursday, March 2, 2017

Beyond My Comprehension

The Bible-Study Pastor asked some thought provoking questions: "Who is the most famous person that you ever met?" "Did that famous person meet your expectations?" "What are your expectations of Jesus?"
I suppose we can agree that 'famous' is the result of accomplishments, which are known by many people. Famous is usually driven by practice and/or study. Other times, we do note famous-status occurs through happen-chance circumstances.

 I began a mental exercise recalling some names of 'famous folks'  I've met. Some surpassed my expectations while others disappointed. I quickly dismissed that question when the thought occurred to me that the names of my famous-people were not near as endearing and impacting on my life as the names of people who nurtured and mentored me in life. It was those people who aided in helping me develop expectations...expectations of myself, which helped my personal growth.

Addressing the question of 'expectations of Jesus,' I immediately concluded that I will never be able to answer that question. Here's why: I cannot imagine or wrap my mind around the depth of Christ's forgiving-grace. That human body of Jesus was nailed to a tree with the spikes hammered through bones, tendons and nerves of hands and feet. I recall an abscess tooth pain and a pinched back nerve and thought it was the worst possible pain. Christ forgave those who brutally murdered him. Then after doing that for 'me,' He forgave me  yesterday morning when I cursed, beneath my breath, the man who cut me off on the highway. And just think, my 'Holy Bible' was in full vision on my auto's dashboard.

So, there I sat yesterday morning in Bible Study daring to contemplate my 'expectations' of Jesus. I know exactly what you readers are thinking right now. You believe I can 'expect' Christ's everlasting forgiveness if requested. That is not my expectation of Jesus; that's my gift of salvation. I'll see you in Church Sunday. You'll recognize me, I'm that Christian often mistaken as 'The Great Pretender.'

No comments:

Post a Comment