Thursday, March 9, 2017

Religious Geography

I'm not sure 'why' but it is. I'm talkin' about how The South projects a greater religious profile than does The North. I would hesitate accepting any premise that one region of the country finds its people more religious than another, however I read newspapers and watch television reports from all sections of this nation and there appears no significant difference in criminal activities, domestic violence and transgressions against God's word. That said, I have noticed perhaps five times more television Preacher shows in the South than in the North.

I remember as a youngster how my family anticipated with excitement a week long television broadcast of a Billy Graham Revival. I will acknowledge that I was often spiritually-enriched and moved by Reverend Graham's messages. There is no doubt that his words helped my 'walk with Christ.' Here's the irony, I wouldn't walk across the street to hear Billy's son, Franklin preach a sermon. The reason is simple: Papa Graham told me what I needed to do to gain eternal life while 'sonny-boy' tries to tell me how to vote, which is driven by judging others.

 I don't recall more than a low-keyed request to viewers to consider supporting Dr. Graham's television ministries with a contribution. Today, many television preachers want you to send them 'seed' money, which they claim will come back to the giver ten-fold or they wish to sell you mystic healing ointments or pieces of cloth from The Holy Land.

I believe in redemption as demonstrated by the conversation between Christ and the Thief on Calvary's Crosses. The worst of sinners, which could be me, can be forgiven. I note that in the South two very famous Preachers fell from 'grace' and made it all the way back to television preaching fame. You all remember Jim Baker whose fraud in the name of religion got him prison time. And then there was that other Jim, Jimmy Swaggart who had problems getting mixed-up chasing 'Ladies of The Night.' He found his redemption and a new television-ministry contract.

PS.  I wish Major League Baseball and its writers would pickup on this 'forgiveness thing' and put Pete Rose in the Hall-of-Fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment