Friday, March 31, 2017

Unconditional Friend

One day last week, I was sitting on the backyard swing with Toy Poodle, Yodie after doing some yard clean-up. Let me make it clear, I had done the clean up while Yodie simply followed nearby. I began talking to my companion about the school kid neighbors who were playing and laughing. Yodie studied my face measuring the words. I knew he was unconcerned about the childrens' play but more interested in a 'key word' like 'treat' or 'walk.'

The thought occurred to me that I have had intense conversations with some sixteen dogs in my seventy-eight seasons. Later that evening I found this note that I scribbled in 2003:
PS. I offer today's rant-post in honor of long time friend and family veterinarian , John A. Ebrey .

                FRIENDS FUR-EVER

There was Skippy, Zipper, Peggy and Pal,
Some were fellas and some were gals.

This one would fetch and that one would chase,
All would join in a young boy's race.

The bark would warn of impending danger,
Yet the tail would wag upon meeting a stranger.

Oh, the stories to my parents untold,
But whispered to my pooch with a heart of gold.

All are gone, those dogs and the young boy, too,
Ah, but the old man recalls with a pup brand new.

           (Touch)

Rufus...Walkin The Dog

No comments:

Post a Comment