Sunday, March 5, 2017

Radical? Who me? No You!

Words suggest. Actions confirm. Keep that thought.

Much is said recently about 'Radical Islamic Religion.' Should American leaders use the phrase Radical Islamic terrorists causing death in the fulfillment of some 'extreme' Islamic Religious doctrine? Personally, I say go for it! While you are addressing some radical religious groups, you should speak about and point out harm done by some of those Radical Christians as well.

Stop and spare me any lecture on faith, organized religion and any other intrusion on my personal walk with Jesus-Christ. I will not point to individuals who may be in this Radical Christian movement, I allow you to draw such conclusions.

'Radical' means strict adherence of views, which are  at odds with cultural norms. The 'radicals' are people who advocate and support those extreme views. Christians once believed that 'human slavery' was okay. That was a 'hot religious' debate back in the 1840's followed by the 1859 evolution vs. creation science theories. Then we had Christians fighting over a woman's rightful position in our society. Back in the day, some 'radical Christians' believed it was God's wishes for a woman NOT to receive anesthesia during childbirth (I'm sure that idea was promoted by men folks). Then some good Christians had to wrestle with a notion that a woman could vote and wear slacks. I remember, during the 1950's my Methodist Church folks believed you were hell-bound if you worked on Sunday or attended entertainment on the sabbath. I suppose that thinking changed when Grandpa choked on a Sunday-dinner chicken bone and the Doctor could not make a house call. Today, Christians now debate birth control and pro-life vs abortion rights.

Just because a group embraces the rooted-fundamentalism it does not make that group radical. It's when that fundamentalist group imposes those rooted beliefs on others that they are radicals.

I hear Republicans telling Americans that the Government should not choose your own health-insurance. Well, how about the Government staying out of my religious beliefs. Oh my goodness, I just imagined what would happen if those 'Radical Amish' gained American government control...we'd all be driving a buggy and stepping in horse-crap in the mall parking lot.

Okay, you can now start naming names...

No comments:

Post a Comment