Thursday, March 23, 2017

Happiness Slip-Sliding Away

To the surprise of few, Americans are becoming more unhappy. That's the conclusion of the World Happiness Report, which placed Norway as the #1 Happy Country on the globe while Americans continue in 'joyless-free-fall' dropping another notch to # 14.

I'm sure there are those folks who would claim that studying happiness seems a frivolous thing to do but I would argue that most Of us seek to accomplish and acquire to ultimately bring us joy.
I rest the case for the human quest for personal gratification, which most folks equate to 'happiness.'

Interestingly the relationship of a nation's wealth ranking and happiness ranking is inconsequential. Ah, but we all knew that. There is no doubt that poverty is a drag on happiness however it does not mean more is better as in money guarantees happiness.

I have believed all my life that true happiness comes to me when I am immersed in employment, a project or a cause for which I have a great passion and along that personal journey I seek and find opportunities to serve others. Bingo! I'm happy!

Perhaps in this nation of great resources, wealth, freedoms and power, we Americans have become too divisive and too intolerant.  Perhaps we'd get happier if we cared about and served others.


       (Touch)
Don't Worry Be Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment