Wednesday, March 29, 2017

'Dizzy'

I won't speculate what prompted it but I recall my Mammy (maternal grandmother) back in the day might say, "My heads swimming, I best sit-a-spell." I never did press Mammy for an actual description of 'head swimming' but I can say this, I once had a vertigo bout and my head seemed detached from my body...it seemed to be swimming. These days, I more often get 'dizzy' contemplating and processing twenty-first century technology and ways of the world. As Grandpa
 E. V. Bennett would say, "You can ponder but that don't mean you decipher."

My wife and I both learned to drive on a 'stick-shift' automobile. I remember when I told my wife that there were new cars with 'automatic' drive. My wife thought that meant she'd no longer have to guide the vehicle. Everybody got a good laugh but it appears she soon will have the last laugh.

If memory serves me right,  our first family television set (a Philco) was plug into the outlet in 1950. It received three channels with reception clarity dependent on the angle of the tin-foil wrapped antenna. My cable supplied television set today garners over three hundred channels and if I have modem issues I call a toll free number and a young fella somewhere in Florida does something on his computer that re-sets my T.V. in Decatur, Illinois. That'll make your 'head swim.'

Speaking of the 1950's, there was a guy we called, 'Snuffy,' who negotiated a horse-pulled wagon down our East St. Louis alley picking up our trash. Picture that against a rocket taking another guy named, Neil to the moon. Why it all makes my 'head swim.'

With all this technology these days, I can't for the life of me understand why we still have a baseball umpire behind the plate calling balls & strikes.

              (Touch)
'Dizzy'

No comments:

Post a Comment