Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Backyard Beauty and Entertainment

Have you ever noticed how dogs and old men are slaves to routines? Aside from our independent routines, me and Toy Poodle, Yodie share a daily backyard routine. In the morning, we sit on a cushioned bench in the nice warm early sunlight. I drink my coffee and Yodie keeps a critical eye out for rabbits, tree squirrels and chipmunks. Later in the mid-day, we opt for the swing, which is situated under the umbrella shade of a large Ash tree. I drink my cold refreshment and Yodie keeps a critical eye out for (you guessed) rabbits, tree squirrels and chipmunks. Yodie has never caught one of those critters but he sure the hell gives them a run for their money. On occasion, my wife and I return to the backyard during evening hours and sit near the pond to enjoy the onset of evening cicadas sounds mixing with the fountain-falling waters. Yodie? He sits nearby on heightened alert.

While Yodie keeps his critter vigil, I watch a variety of beautiful birds accepting our gifts a several feeders. I am particularly amused by the Hummingbirds loading up on nectar at three feeders and a endless choice of flowers, which were planted by my wife over our 19-Decatur years. I have a desire to list each flowering plant but that number reaches 29- different varieties; many of which, I don't care to spell check. Trust me when I tell you that it takes 17-minutes to water her plants. That must be done twice a week and when the heat and wind are factors longer moments of soaking are required.

Squirrels can play havoc with flower beds but I've solved the issue of these furry-tailed nut-seekers climbing poles to raid the bird feeders. All bird feeding poles are freely coated with cooking oil once a week. Now THAT produces quite a show!
(Touch)
Smelling the Roses

No comments:

Post a Comment