Friday, August 25, 2017

Good Timing

The late great baseball pitcher, Satchel Paige once said, "Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits." I need to to take a page from Paige (pun intended) and do more "just sits."

Sitting on the backyard swing yesterday afternoon, I began thinking about the word 'timing' and how it's been huge in my life. Perhaps a good degree of 'timing' is big in your life also. In my professional life, which was centered around coaching basketball, baseball, football and cross country, I noted endless significance of 'timing' factors. Orchestrating and executing a 'special' (play) in team basketball requires timing perfection. A baseball hitter's success is predicated on correct bat-swing-timing in reference to 'timing' the approaching pitch. Football players receiving a pass from their quarterback requires a critical coordination of the receiver's route and a 'timing' cut with the quarterback's release of the thrown ball. Timing in sports is seemingly endless.

Then there was the timing of events in my personal life that offered both challenges and opportunities. That first high school coaching assignment gave a rookie coach the opportunity to test theories and bury mistakes. Another school with great winning tradition showed the young mentor how to commit, demand and praise and it came at a critical 'time.' Other school districts presented hurdles that at first caused frustration, anger and but soon my resolve and needed maturity, which positioned me for greater things when the 'timing' was right. Each coaching charge and each community provided growth...all offered 'issues' wrapped around the 'timing' factor.  That growth  opened so many greater opportunities. As it has been said, 'Times' make the man/woman great;'  meaning that life's circumstances often await the emergence of a leader, a capable individual or perhaps a hero.

I hope those reading will embrace each day and be alert to recognize and seize the moment. It just might be your 'time.'
(Touch)
'Timing'

No comments:

Post a Comment