Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Where Are The Children?

Not often in my lifetime do I recall sitting outside in mid-August enjoying a mid-day gentle breeze but that's exactly what I did yesterday. I particularly enjoyed hearing the voices of Our Lady of Lourdes school children in their playground adjacent to our backyard. The afternoon experience caused me to return to that backyard swing after the dinner hour. It is interesting how summer nights stir memories of days gone by.

So many constant themes transcends the years. It is the same setting sun falling from the horizon behind puffy white clouds. The evening breeze brought to life the aroma of freshly cut grasses as Birds began looking for a nighttime roost. The cicadas let their presence known but a distinct sound from my youth was missing. I did not hear those youthful voices around my neighborhood. I heard no baseball bat falling to a street pavement indicating a 'three-flies-in' game nor did I hear a tin can sound rolling across the street or young girls' voices playing 'Mother Ma I' or hop scotch.

There are many young kids in our Decatur neighborhood but they seemingly have an aversion to the Out-of-doors. Dear God, don't these kids know how much socializing fun awaits under that streetlight near the corner?

Perhaps the climate-controlled comfort environment and the addiction to electronic-computer games is simply too enticing while requiring minimal physical expenditure. Maybe these kids will grow up healthy but recent trends suggest they'll be among the growing number of obese children suffering  from early onset diabetes and high blood pressure. Perhaps many of these kids will lack social skills but the chances are good that an adult job inside a cubicle looking at a computer screen will comfort them.

Finally, I fear that the leadership skills and imagination abilities, which are developed and honed through youthful group interaction dynamics will diminish the likelihood of a fulfilling life's journey.
(Touch)
Ain't it Funny What The Children Say?

No comments:

Post a Comment