Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Can't Live on Hoorahs

I received my undergraduate and graduate degrees from Illinois State University. During those four-undergraduate years my education cost was covered by an anonymous donor and my athletic department 'State' employment job, which paid $60.00 per month because I played both basketball and baseball. I was most fortunate and blessed. When college coaches come calling on the high school recruit, they are quick to give out a lot of praise and 'atta boy' comments but as the one prospect told the college coach, "I can't live on hoorahs." In my personal case, I certainly needed college financial assistance back in 1957 and I was most grateful when it was forthcoming. I would temper the 'I can't live on hoorahs' statement to the extent that all folks who engage in any performance usually find added incentives to reach successful results with encouragement and a periodic 'pat-on-the-back.'

We have heard the phrase, "Man doesn't live by bread alone." The origin of that phrase will take you to several biblical scriptures one of which is Luke 4:4 that reads: "...and Jesus answered him, saying, "It is written, that man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God." Therefore, the human experience seems more complete if we are nourished with both bodily sustaining foods as well as spiritual food.

Personally, I am of the belief that there is a third must if one is to be fulfilled in this living-journey. We find satisfaction and happiness through 'service' to others as we perceive their needs. And on that note, I will tell you that it is NEVER too late to garner your 'Happiness.'
Reach Out

No comments:

Post a Comment