Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Something I noticed during my journey..

Watching some of the human survival events on the television coverage of this horrific weather event devastating lives and property along the gulf-coastal shores, namely affecting Texas, I could not help but process and review perhaps America's greatest sociological story; the ongoing story of racial-relations or shall I say, the challenge to "love one another."

As a kid growing up in the 1940's industrial blue-collar East St. Louis, I recall ethnic neighborhood pockets throughout the city of eighty thousand people.  A true melting pot of Irish, Italian, Polish, French, Mexican, Greek and other Eastern European descendants along with a mix of Asian and Middle East people. Oh, of course, we must not forget the African-American 'black folks.' They were all located in the South end of East St. Louis. Somehow the blacks did not assimilate with the rest...and that wasn't their choice.

I would see black people in all parts of the city during the day but they were usually hired by whites for domestic jobs and everybody knew that come 'sundown' the blacks needed to return to that South end. In the 1950's, when I began driving and my boundary limits expanded, I found myself frequenting the South end to find a summer basketball sandlot game or pig snoots from Nichols' Bar-BQ. I also remember in the late 1950's the start of 'white-flight' from East Side to nearby communities of Collinsville, Belleville and other areas. White people sold East St. Louis houses because of some 'imagined' property value loss if persons of color moved into your neighborhood. It was a myth and like most myths...driven by stupidity! Matter of fact, East St. Louis' property values declined because 'white' corporate East Coast money was never invested in that city but only factories, which left seeking non-union workers elsewhere. (Don't bother to debate it...I did extensive research years ago).

Today, I see gated communities scattered throughout America as an attempt to isolate from those 'other people.' However, I never miss the lesson of how tragedies bring folks of all color and persuasions together. Let there be a war and the person next to you in a fox hole covering your back is welcomed regardless of color. And let the devastation of a hurricane create flight from flooded homes into a civic center housing 20,000 American refugees and we notice color mattering NOT...at that moment under that distress only love and support of each is apparent. There is no gated-areas nor any 'South end.'

I've noticed...'when we share despair, we share the care.'
When will we learn and apply the lesson?
(Touch)
Brothers & Sisters

No comments:

Post a Comment