Monday, August 7, 2017

Old Folks

A new offer is available to adult children regarding their elderly parents. Details on that later but first this review. As a seventy-eight year old man, I remember the 1940's. I remember when many older folks lived out the 'winter years of their lives' IN their adult-married children's home. Actually, it was more often Mom than Dad because Mom took better care of herself than Dad. Over the decades that life expectancy differential remains the same. Every Sunday, I get to church early before the good seats in the back are all taken and I can tell you that there are more grey-headed ladies sitting in front of me than grey and balding men.

The need to 'take care' of mom and dad in senior years underwent drastic change likely due to family economic pressures and the evolution of the career woman. More and more households, today find both husband and wife in the work force, therefore many of the elderly needing on site monitoring became problematic. Too often the oldsters were sent to old-age homes or nursing homes. This practice gave way to what we are now familiar with and commonly call Senior Living Centers. We even note various levels within these senior residences based upon the Senior's ability to take care of 'self.' The functioning senior will enter the 'Independent Living' quarters. As more care is required the next move is into 'Assisted Living' quarters. After that the aging senior may become a candidate for 'Nursing Care' or sometimes a 'Memory Loss' Facility.

Well, just last week, I heard about this new 'senior-care' offer. A Senior Living Center in St. Louis advertises,  "If you are wishing to get away on that special vacation but cannot leave your elderly parent, 'WE' can help. Our Senior Center will House & Board mom and/or dad while your away." It's kinda the same principle of a Pet Boarding Kennel.

Okay! My children read this daily blog; so kids, PAY ATTENTION! I'm not living anywhere in my (I can't live alone old age) except with one of you. If you wish you can 'pass-me-back-and-forth' to share the joy of my presence. When you want to get away to take a much-needed vacation just tell me in advance.  I can have my things  ready along with my dog's things pronto! We can be ready to go when you say the word. I prefer warm  climates and so does my dog.
(Touch)
Old Folks

No comments:

Post a Comment