Monday, August 14, 2017

State What You Believe

The key to any good verbal presentation has three critical elements: 1) an attention grabbing opening 2) a powerful conclusion and 3) little time between #1 & #2.

Recently, I received a telephone call from a Central Illinois school superintendent. He wanted to ask me to speak at a parent-athlete orientation. He had a specific inquiry: "Do you use 'power-point' presentations?" I understood what he wished to know. He wanted to know if I'd use visual aids of some sort. I told him, "No." I did not elaborate but had he pursued the question, I was prepared to ask him if he thought Lincoln's Gettysburg Address could have used 'power points' or did he think MLK's 'I have a Dream speech needed power points?" Please don't think for a minute that I place myself in the oratorical classification with King and Lincoln. That said, believe me when I tell you my message regarding the need for healthy communication within the sport-family of athletes, parents and coaches is filled with powerful and passionate points!

I believe the greatest speech ever gone was Christ's Sermon on the Mount. That message is laced with a call to action. It appears that any speech begs to scratch a hidden potential to motivate the listeners. I never needed a picture-book to touch that nerve; when I do, I will stop speaking. Meanwhile, I understand that thoughts and opinions have an expiration date. Understand?
(Touch)
Tell it Like it Is

No comments:

Post a Comment