Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Lady In The Photo

Several weeks ago, we had breakfast at Cracker Barrel. While sipping on coffee waiting for food, I surveyed the many wall decorations found at the popular eatery. My eyes finally locked-in on one of those oval framed photos of a very stern looking woman of perhaps the Westward Movement era. Unlike the Mona Lisa debate, this lady was NOT smiling. In fact, the Cracker Barrel woman looked not to be the smiling kind. I recalled many similar photos I've seen in the past hanging on walls in family homes. Some of those faces I could attach names but a few were never identified. Come to think of it...none were smiling.

The Cracker Barrel photo stayed in my thoughts so as I often do, I put words down to dismiss it...

                LADY IN THE PHOTO

The black and white photo in the old egg-shaped frame,
Hinted of the past but offered no name.

Her features strong but a face somewhat sad,
Caused one to wonder was life so bad?

She resembles loves ones in our midst,
The story a must, her past we insist.

The teller smiles and begins alas,
She weaves the tale of a difficult past.

Wood stoves, oil lanterns and dust from the mines,
Reminded listeners of struggling times.

An obviously hard and simple life,
Dotted with challenges, family and strife.

The story complete we know the name,
But had she told the story would it be the same?

(Touch)
Lady In The Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment