Tuesday, August 8, 2017

She's a Hoot.

An examination of those many 'happy marriage' surveys reveals one oft-mentioned characteristic and it is  'humor.' Humor as in...(1) we share a commonality in what we 'see' as funny or (2) my spouse makes me laugh. I have related to that couple-relationship aspect for sixty-four years and we've only been married fifty-seven years...that's right, I started 'hanging' around Gerry's house when she was only 13-years old...in nine day she will celebrate her 77th birthday. The girl made me laugh before we ever married and she still makes me laugh.

I suppose most parents tease and tests their teenager about whom the teenager is dating. My Dad would always tease me with the line, "What do you see in that little greasy-girl?" Of course, the 'greasy' was reference to Gerry's olive complexion, which would really Bronze under the summer sun. Here's the funny thing about that line. I have 'Fair skin' completion exactly like my mother and my dad was darker with a more olive type complexion than that of Gerry's.

I recall Gerry and I dating in the mid-fifties. On one occasion, we were sitting in my dad's auto at one of those teen car hop Drive-in eateries. Gerry always put her drink on open glove compartment's lid. This night, she hit the lid with her knee and the drink contents went inside the glove compartment. She said, "Don't worry about those wet papers. On the drive home to my house, I'll hold them out the window to dry."

Later that month, my mother went shopping with girlfriend, Gerry and they also made a quick lunch  stop at a drive-in malt shop. Upon finishing her sandwich, Gerry tossed her malt container towards a receptacle. It bounced off the trash can and into the auto parked next to them. Gerry jumped out of the car, ran to the business suit attired gent apologizing as she wiped malt off the side of his  windshield. Mother Lou said that she was horrified!

Several years ago upon our return from a week's vacation in the 'Lake of the Ozarks, Gerry told some of our friends, "It REALLY get dark at night in The Ozarks."

We have a husband/wife co-Pastor team at our church. The female Pastor conducts a Tuesday, Bible Study Class, which my wife attends. One Sunday after church when filing by the two preachers, the lady Pastor said, "Mel, I truly enjoy Gerry in our Bible Class...She's a HOOT! I wish I had thought of that word when my dad asked the question..."What do you see in that Little Greasy Girl?"
(Touch)
Makes Me Feel Like Dancing

No comments:

Post a Comment