Thursday, August 24, 2017

I Am Beholding

I was channel-surfing a few days ago attempting to escape depressing news when I came across Steve Harvey hosting a 'Family Feud Show.' I paused to watch. If you've never watched this show it has a simple premise. Two (5-member) families answer questions, which have previously been asked of 100 hundred people. The scoring-scheme declares the winning family that then qualifies them to win a large sum of money. Of course, some questions beg for sexually-suggestive answers, which can be funny.

The first question I heard was: "What five people's contributions have most changed the way we live?" My mind began scrambling through a mental Name directory...I thought perhaps Jesus, Edison,  Orville/Wilbur or maybe Lincoln or Ben Franklin...and don't forget Trump. Before I could whittle-down to five Harvey announced the surveys top five who were: (1) Martin Luther King, Jr., (2) Oprah, (3) FDR, (4) Ben Franklin and (5) Jesus. I'm thinking this poll had to be taken at a Democratic fund raising event...all the aforementioned are & were liberals, well I'm not sure about Franklin.

The experience got me to thinking about five people who have had great influence on my personal life. That was most interesting. I had to break that down into categories: five family members, five childhood friends and five professional friends/acquaintances. After completing the three lists of folks who've impacted my journey, I thought about telephoning them and expressing my gratitude...then I realized, at age 78, I should have started these lists some time ago. You might take heed.
(Touch)
Wind Beneath My Wings

No comments:

Post a Comment