Friday, August 4, 2017

How Blessed Can One Man Be?

Yesterday was truly a neat and special moment...a sweet reunion of sort. Let me explain. In the very near future the Basketball Museum of Illinois will be located in Pontiac, Illinois the same community that offers tourists the Route 66 Museum. The 'Mother Road Museum' will share basketball histories of Illinois.  Museum visitors will discover all sorts of Illinois Basketball stories from the Chicago 'Bulls' to the Illinois High School Association's rich history and all the accomplishments of Illinois universities and colleges...It's the Basketball Museum of Illinois.

One of the many offerings to visitors will be video interviews with coaches and players of the past. A few weeks ago, Museum Coordinator, Bruce Firchau contacted me to arrange a joint interview with yours truly and one of my former Jacksonville high school players and former Illini great, Andy      Kaufmann. Kaufmann finished his prep career in 1988 with 3160 points, which ranks him #2 on the all-time scoring list behind the late, Charlie Vaughn. Kaufmann's U of I scoring number of 1533 places him at #11 all-time at the Big 10 school. It was players like Kaufmann that put this former prep basketball coach in the IBCA Hall of Fame. Therefore, yesterday's interview conducted by long time radio sports personality, Tim Schweitzer went down.

The wide range of topics touched on Andy's playing journey from the 5th grader starting on  Winchester's 8th grade team, through the high school wars with LaPhanso Ellis' East St. Louis Lincoln 'Tigers' and Coach Jerry Legget's Quincy 'Blue Devils.'  Sweitzer's professional experience made the one-hour and 40- minute interview fly by. Of course, I was asked to 'flesh in' many details and add the mentor's perspective. Andy has always handled himself with great honesty and humility yet with a matter of fact confidence in the game he loved...yesterday's interview was no different.
It was a fun reminiscent-reunion and one for which I am most appreciative.

On my drive back to Decatur from Springfield, I thought of all the outstanding players that I had the privilege coaching; hundreds of young teens. I could not help but recall a quote from the late St. Louis Cardinals' broadcaster, Jack Buck. With his permission, I borrow it now: "If I am fortunate enough to meet my maker and permitted one question, I would ask...Why were you so good to me." You must understand: I was blessed with wonderful parents and extended family. I was allowed to  pursue a career I loved. I married my high school sweetheart and God blessed us with three children who married terrific people. I embrace 15-grandkids and two great grandkids. If that family wasn't enough, God gave me hundreds of basketball players, which I call 'My Boys.'
Then God topped it all with a Savior dying for my sins.
(Touch)A Blessed Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment