Friday, August 18, 2017

Trench People

We've all heard the phrase, 'In the Trenches.' I'm not sure of its origin but I am confident of its intended suggestion. Those 'in the trenches,' are folks who have dealt with the problems thoroughly and consequently know what they're talking about. They are employees, if you will, "in the trenches' doing the basic work (hard, repetitive and dirty work). The phrase usually references those whose status is beneath the boss and lesser military rank.

I would defend the notion that all businesses and institutions have a chain of command, which identifies those 'in the trenches.' These are the folks who make the wheel turn and often against difficult circumstances.

When I think of people 'in the trenches,' I visualize those real military combatants that live in the mud and blood of war executing the plans of the Brass who plan those strategies. I think of caretakers in nursing homes and Alzheimer homes. I'm reminded of people in dangerous mission assignments spreading the news of Jesus Christ. This time of year my thoughts return to those Grandest of  enterprise days...teaching and coaching.

Funny thing how most jobs 'look' easy or glorious from the outside but if one only knew the terrain they would change perceptions. Just yesterday, I received a text message from my granddaughter,  Lindsay who is in her fifth year teaching fourth graders...these are highly impressionable 10 & 11  year old youngsters. Lindsay's note read: " When teaching my students this week about respecting others, showing empathy and choosing kindness while dismissing hatefulness...I can't help but feel defeated observing the racial and religious hate played out in American streets. I wish our President and other adult leaders would model the behavior traits and character, which I'm attempting to instill in my students.. I feel sad and depressed when these grown people act so publicly stupid without any consequences." Lindsay is but one of the hundreds of thousands who meet our children daily at the doorway of our schools and the childrens' future. Perhaps they (teachers) are fighting for our country's future...fighting the most important and significant TRENCH.
(Touch)
Teach The Children Well

No comments:

Post a Comment