Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Blessed to be In-Touch

A nice luncheon yesterday with good friends with-whom the Roustio's' have an interesting long lasting connection. I speak of John and Rose Conklin. John played basketball for me at Mason City high school for two years, 1965-66 & 1966-67. Before playing at Mason City, John was a two year starter at nearby Easton high school. In John's four varsity seasons he totaled over 2300 points, which ranks him 46-on the IHSA all-time individual scorers' list. The boy could flat out shoot and was fortunate to play with outstanding teammates his Mason City years.

John went on to have a outstanding college career at Northern Michigan before entering the high school teaching/coaching ranks. When I left Edwardsville to take the Jacksonville basketball head coaching position, I brought there assistant coaches with me. Kenny Hickman (on staff at Edwardsville), Sam Holmes from the Metro-East area and John Conklin from Atwood-Hammond.

John stayed in coaching a brief time as he pursued a career in educational administration following his father, Ray Conklin's career path. John became an assistant superintendent at Jacksonville and later Superintendent of the Athens' school district. John enjoys telling folks that even though he became 'my' boss at Jacksonville, "Coach Roustio never understood that his former ball player/assistant coach was now his superior." I plead guilty but with partial blame back on John.

John is one of here former players inthe top echelon of Illinois prep scorers who I was fortunate to coach. Edwardsville' Greg Ahart was a four-year stater 1970-1974 scoring a school career mark of 1,845 points while Andy Kaufmann (Jacksonville) ranks #2 on the IHSA individual scorers list with 3160 points.

One sidebar readers should know: Several years ago, my wife and I met John and Rose Conklin and our daughter Pam and husband Tim Howell in Petersburg to support our son Steve's Pirates basketball team. During a time out, Pam, seated behind us leaned over towards John and said, "John on behalf of my brother, Steve and sister, Dawn, we want you to deliver Dad's eulogy." Talk about breaking the flow of prep basketball entertainment.

For the past ten years since hearing my daughter, Pam's eulogy invitation, I wonder if it's really a good idea to have a former player offer closing words about his coach's journey. Hopefully, Rose will proof read.


No comments:

Post a Comment