Wednesday, December 5, 2018

It Ain't Over Until It's Over

A few years ago, I attended a funeral of a former student-athlete in Assumption, Illinois where I first began coaching in 1962. While visiting that day another former player asked in a surprising tone, "Coach, how old are you?"  His voice inflection suggested that perhaps he was a bit surprised that I was still on the green-side of the lawn.

Another question I frequently get these days is, "Coach, how much longer do you intend to do that coordination of the Decatur Thanksgiving Basketball event?" Again, the inquiry pleads a subliminal question, 'Aren't you getting kinda long in the tooth for such a demand on an old fart?'

As I weigh this journey of mine, I believe that I've learned a few life lessons that make real sense to me...as Socrates once challenged, "Know Thyself." Thank God, I negotiated that hurdle years ago...

1). My Life has purpose no matter my age. I know my purpose is to impact other lives in some positive manner. There has never been anything that gives me greater joy and happiness than to be responsible for lifting the spirits of another individual. That week long basketball tournament with its money raising and coordination demands is all worth it when I observed the excitement of fans watching the incredibly talented competition. My heart is filled when we honor grand marshals, Decatur Heroes and legends. And how wonderful to see Decatur folk's homecoming greetings and  hugs.

2) I have come to appreciate with a thankful heart my health and energy. Therefore, I must get off my butt and give back as long as I can.

3) I have known my entire life that things of greatest value is not money but instead relationships. I must reach out for those contacts.

 4) For 58-years, I celebrate a spouse who understands and supports my passion and willingness. Not only does my wife, Gerry understand and support, she encourages and challenges my thoughts and efforts, which makes me better in my mission.

God willing, I shall turn 80-years old this February and I will immerse myself once again in coordinating the 50th Annual Decatur Thanksgiving Basketball Tournament. I don't have delusional thoughts of being around for the 100th Anniversary of the Decatur Tournament but as Yogi Berra once said, "It ain't over till is over."
(Touch)

It Ain't Over Til It's Over

No comments:

Post a Comment