Saturday, December 29, 2018

Just Imagine

Funny thing happened on the way to Best Buy to get the latest 'social media gadget,' we lost the last bit of our imagination during the trek. It is true that the young children are becoming more knowledgeable and more deeply absorbed in computer technology but at the risk of their declining ability to draw on imagination. I fear our passion for social media in doing little to make us 'social' if not causing us to become more isolated from others and even our ability to imagine.

When I was a young boy of four or five, I had the fastest draw of any cowboy in the neighborhood. Killed me many Indians and bad guys. At age eight-to-ten, I announced imaginary baseball action on my spinner game just like Harry Carey did for my St. Louis Cardinals. While tossing the tennis ball against the front steps of our home on Rosemont Avenue (Washington Park) East St. Louis, Stan Musial always managed to foul off bad offerings and hit home tuns with good pitches. My Little League baseball coach told me one time, when I was just ten years old to improve my pitching delivery by standing in front of my mother's full length mirror and 'pretend' as I would engage my pitching motion while throwing an imaginary pitch towards the mirror watching my every physical mechanic right down to my follow through.

While shooting baskets night after night on the backyard lighted court, I seemed to always 'nail' that buzzer-beating winning shot...time and time again.

I'm convinced that many great accomplishments by individuals had embryo stages in one's imagination. Imagination is our ability to dream, improvise and create thoughtful events, which enhances our potential for achievement and success. Imagination must be encouraged and nurtured in the young.
Imagination

No comments:

Post a Comment