Monday, December 10, 2018

Santa Claus Is Coming!

We have one of those December cloth calendars that has little pockets under each day, which permits us to move a mini-candy-cane each new day ever closer to Christmas Day. When our kids were at home, they became more and more excited moving that candy cane. Today with the children grown up and gone from this house, my wife and I sometimes forget to move that candy cane. Still, I note other indicators suggesting the days marching closer to 'the Big Day.' First the tall artificial green tree was erected by yours truly two days after Thanksgiving. The next few days ornaments were attached to the tree and then came the Nativity placement under the tree. (Several years ago, our dog ate a cow and two Camels...at least the wise men are all present.)

Next the yard lights and front porch decorations were carefully arranged.....it's now the first week of December. With tree and yard lights in place, my wife's attention becomes even more intense as she decorates every shelf, end-table, hutch, mantel and banister in our four bedroom, two-story home with miniature Santa's, Holly, Garland and colorful lights. I've counted 14-Santa figures, 11-Angels,
3-Stuffed Disney characters in Santa clothing, a Santa Bear, a Penguin dressed as an elf and too many Snowmen to count.

Christmas Day will find 29-family members gathered around three tables. There will be gift  exchanges taking place with Nana and Boompa giving attention to each satellite family. Later Christmas evening all will gather in the living room and engage in various games...most of which factor around pantomime.

Years ago, somebody asked me, 'what were the prettiest lights you saw at Christmas?' I always answered, "The automobile tail lights of families leaving. The past several years, I find myself dreading Christmas' Days end. I'm sure anybody over age sixty-five understands. I'm sure my kids feel the same. You see, a few years ago I made arrangements for the three families to have hotel rooms so they might have more comfortable sleeping conditions Christmas night.  My kids rejected the notion. I think I need not explain that reasoning either. Must stop here, my wife wants me to put some Christmas lights up in the backyard today. Folks, there's an vacant field behind our  home...nobody will see those lights....I almost mentioned that to her...Yep, Christmas is coming soon!
(Touch)https://m.youtube


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WgEVI8DEkF8

No comments:

Post a Comment