Thursday, December 20, 2018

Christmas Anticipation

I don't know anybody, except a child who looked forward to Christmas more than did my father. Whereas a child anticipates Santa bringing gifts, my dad's expectation and joy was anchored in family focus. His 'corner-of-the-block homes were adorn with Christmas lights just shy of Clark Griswold's pad. (By the way, you heard that correctly, as a youth, I lived in four homes and three were corner homes. My parents later lived in two more homes, which were located on corners. Don't ask why they just did; we also had to park in the fourth row at the Drive In Theater next to the concession stand...plus we had to be first out of the theater grounds at movie's end. I suppose you could say that I got my competitiveness from my father). When it came to Christmas decorations, rest assured there was a 'blueprint' in my father's head how all Christmas lights were to be arranged down to the tiniest bulb. The house interior was also given great attention to ornament and knickknack details.

Mother's food was always excellent and plentiful. The highlight for my father was gift giving to his married children and grandchildren. I am convinced beyond any doubt that the gift-giving joy experienced by this aging man was driven by a personal childhood of meager means if not near poverty. I've seen the photos that captured those days and I heard the stories.

These many years later, I find myself in the old man's father role at these Holidays. Unlike my father, I leave the decoration details to my wife: if she's happy then I'm happy. However, I too anticipate family gathering at Christmas time. In fact, twenty-nine family members will be gathering at our  home on Christmas Day. Whereas the gift exchanges are feel good moments they pale in my joyous absorption into family interactions and the depth of caring love, which I am blessed to embrace.

I cannot go home to those East St. Louis days gone by nor can I touch the years of yesterday but the family love anticipation fills my heart as this Christmas Day approaches.

(Touch)
The Spirit of Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment