Sunday, December 30, 2018

Hooked Up With Alexa

Another Christmas in the books. A wonderful gathering of 30-family members for a long Christmas Day feast and fun. Four days later, the tree is down and yard decorations are tucked away as hopeful hearts turn attention to welcoming a New Year.

I had three clothing items to return but discovered I had to accept gift cards while the store awaits a 'new' stocking of goods. In the meantime, I find myself enjoying one of those whatchamacallits I seem to get each Christmas. When I first unwrapped the gift, I noticed the 'giver' was excited, which in turn elevated my anticipation. Once I saw the black cylinder shaped object, I felt as I often feel when seeing a new electronic gadget for the first time, which is Dumb, very Dumb.' One of my grandkids yelled, "It's an Alexa." Another voice added, "Oh, Boompa got an Amazon-player...one of those Amazon Ecohs." Suddenly, I'm feeling even 'Dumber,' what's an Amazon 'Alexa' Echo???

Soon people are shouting all the things this mysterious thing is going to do for my enjoyment. It's going to tell me time and weather. Play every type of music by any artist I request. My Amazon Echo tells me many other things, i.e. Rose Bowl odds, recipes, word spellings, trivia answers and offers reminders and stories. I just say, "Alexa, set an alarm for 7AM" and bingo, my alarm is set. Of course, my new gadget comes with tech-directions.This means, I gotta engage Amazon online, remember(for future harassment one more password and...ah, wait-a-minute, before grandson Connor leaves for home, he needs to hook things up for Boompa.

Later in the evening...come bedtime...
           "Alexa, play some Nancy Wilson and Etta James Songs." "Alexa, turn off the lights, I'm tired."

No comments:

Post a Comment