Sunday, December 2, 2018

Outside The Box

When I hit thirty-two years teaching, I opted to retire from the athletic director/teaching position at Jacksonville and remain as basketball coach. Since my days were free, the WLDS/WEAI radio owners, for whom I worked part time the previous 19-years offered me a daily on air  morning DJ/Talk Show position. I did that for four years before moving to Decatur in 1998 to Coach and later serve as a sports consultant.

The morning radio gig was a blast. I was assigned to the WLDS AM side where forever there seemed to be uncertainty about that AM radio demographics. I decided I would play music that I liked, which was '40's, '50's & '60's songs. I also decided to have a daily topic that listeners could call in and weigh in with opinions. It worked. The arbitron ratings went through the roof. As I said, it was a blast.

Since I was not groomed in the radio business, I was unconventional. I broke rules. For example, I did not 'mix' song selections between male and female artist and groups. I often did theme shows, which took me off that track. Come the Christmas Season there were more rules to ignore and I did.
I was told you had to wait until after Thanksgiving before playing Christmas tunes. Occasionally, I would play Christmas songs in July. Here is a song that should be played throughout the year and its message should be displayed likewise as the artist suggests.
(Touch)
Why Not Each Day

No comments:

Post a Comment