Tuesday, July 14, 2015

He Had My Back

Facing on-going opposition to move a basketball program forward and maintain competitiveness, I resigned the Edwardsville high school head coach position at the close of the 1976-77 season. In late April, I was driving to Macomb, Illinois to umpire a Western Illinois University weekend baseball series. I had made arrangements to stop by the Jacksonville School District administrative offices to discuss the head basketball vacancy at that high school. I interviewed for perhaps 45-minutes with Assistant Superintendent, Fred Osburn and Athletic Director, Al Rosenberger. I was offered the job that day, that moment. I told them that I would 'think' about the offer. At the direction of Superintendent, Robert Crowe the perks got better and they rest is history.

Al Rosenberger was a fun colleague with whom to work. Robert Crowe's administration with the personnel of Osburn, Joe Dewees and John Conklin was the absolute best. Fred Osburn was significantly supportive of my efforts in a most decisive, competitive and feisty manner. He supported me on the implementation of summer programs and an eight team elementary school fall basketball league and my position on athletic codes. Fred stood toe to toe with those who would have my hide after a second season 1-23 record. When the tide turned and successful winning seasons came, Fred Osburn stood tall reminding those who had complained that 'he' was instrumental in my hire. He was a great friend and advocate. He was undaunted by popular views and perceived political correctness.
Only a fool would attempt to intimidate Fred Osburn...my kind of trench warrior.

Fred Osburn died this past week. He was 82. My heart is heavy. He was one of the truest friends I have ever known. I will cherish those memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment