Friday, July 24, 2015

What Was Broken and Needed Fixing?

Sometimes I feel lost, removed and out-of-touch. Let me explain. I see youth athletes receiving trophies for accomplishing nothing as parents applaud and scramble to take photos.

I watch a grandson play six AAU basketball games in a two day period knowing damn good and well no one will play any defense because the body cannot sustain needed exertion to play good defense in that many games in that time period...however, no one will care or notice...except me.

The most out of sync scenario occurred when my grandson, who is a baseball pitcher, explained that his coach said he need not be present at any of his summer league (baseball) games when he is not pitching. Therefore it would seem that today's sport philosophy message is: (1) The games are about the individual not the team. (2) A pitcher not scheduled to pitch needs no stretching, conditioning or throwing on off days; only days HE pitches and (3) It is unimportant to be present with camaraderie support of those teammates whom he hopes will be supportive of him the day HE pitches.

Please note that this commentary did not criticize the obvious changes in sport philosophy. I simply state that I am in an unfamiliar place. I AM concerned that wrong messages are being delivered to young athletes.

I am always hearing that my parents (post WWII) was the 'greatest generation.' Well, let me tell you; I lived the youth-side of THAT parenting generation and the messages were a hellava lot different than the parenting-adult messages of today.


No comments:

Post a Comment